I was recently given a roasted Mauritian spice blend by the wonderful Selina Periampillai.
I’ve got an obsession with cauliflower at the moment so thought this would be the perfect combination. I decided to roast the cauliflower whole with the Mauritian spices, coconut and lime giving a sweet, sour, salty and hot taste sensation that is completely addictive.
This dish can be eaten outright as a main course with some wilted greens and cous cous or to accompany a meat heavy main course.
1 medium cauliflower
200ml coconut cream
2 tsp cooking oil
1 lime, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon Mauritian curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Trim the cauliflower removing any green leaves and woody stem.
2. In a large bowl mix the coconut, lime zest and juice, curry powder, salt and
3. Brush the marinade all over the head of cauliflower.
4. Place on a lined baking tray and roast at 180°C for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, carve and serve.
Chilli powder can be added for extra zing .
Standard curry paste will still work if you can’t get the Mauritian blend.
Pickled raisins make a great accompaniment
The cauliflower is great to eat hot or cold.